For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ – 1 Corinthians 10:3-5.
Yesterday we looked at 5 plain-clothed lies that at one time or another we may have been convinced were the truth. Here are 5 more from Dennis McCallum that will hopefully help us see where we need to destroy arguments and take every thought captive to obey Christ in our own lives. Our desire should mirror that of Ephesians 4:14-16: so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every word of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.
The degree to which Satan’s lies have influence in your own life don’t just affect you but have repercussions for your family, friends, and the body of Christ to which you belong.
Here are the next 5:
6. You don’t have to go crazy with this area of sin. Just a sample, just a reminder, just a taste, could hardly do any harm. You’re not going to give yourself over; you’re just going to get close enough to remember what it’s like.
7. In your fleshly state of mind, it would be pointless to go to a fellowship meeting or other place where you’ll need to give out spiritually. If you go, you’re just going to be bringing others down. You’d better get your head together before going back. [Separation is the name of the game here. An isolated Christian is easier to pick off. As Dietrich Bonhoeffer once wrote, “He who is alone with his sin is utterly alone.”]
8. It looks like this moral problem you have is never going to change. You might as well decide how you’re going to manage your existence as a lifelong screw-up in this area. God has already shown he isn’t going to help, so give it up.
9. Prayer isn’t working. It’s probably because of your lack of faith, or maybe God refuses to answer because you’re so irregular in prayer. Maybe he just doesn’t care. Whatever the case, it feels more and more ridiculous to go on pretending you believe in this.
10. There was that time when God was blessing your life, but that was a long time ago. Something has gone terribly wrong; you can’t feel his presence like you could then. He doesn’t bless you like he did then. It could well be that you’ve been dealt out of the game. God has moved on to others who are more deserving.
5 more tomorrow…