The Dark Knight Rises released today and given the level of excitement and anticipation over this third instalment in the newest Batman series, it seemed good to put together a list of questions to ask ourselves before we watch any movie. Hopefully these are helpful to you in discerning what we as Christians should and shouldn’t watch.
- Will I be comfortable knowing God watches me watch it?
- Can I reconcile all of its content with Philippians 4:8? Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
- Will being entertained by the content and message of this movie desensitize me to the real spiritual war constantly raging around me for the souls of men and women (Ephesians 6)?
- If non-Christians in my sphere of influence knew I watched this movie (and others like it) would it confuse the gospel for them by smudging or erasing the line of separation between me and the world?
- Will it cause me to treasure Christ more?
- Will I be pleased to give an account to God for how I steward the time and money He gave me by watching this movie?
- As a Christian who is light in the Lord (Ephesians 5:8) will I be taking part in the fruitless deeds of darkness by watching this movie, rather than exposing them (Ephesians 5:11)?
- Can I worship God while watching this movie?
- Can I pray for God’s blessing upon myself and others (and expect Him to answer) before watching this movie?
- Will ignoring conviction about not watching this movie grieve the Holy Spirit who indwells me as I watch this movie?
If you’re not a movie watcher, feel free to apply this to any form of media: book, video game, blog, magazine, website, or TV show!